Sunday, February 3, 2013

HOMESCHOOLED JUNGLE FREAK.



If you've ever wondered about my schooling experience and how homeschooling changed my life, I'm here today to share it all...



I've come a long way since the days of skipping class, going to McDonalds for lunch, Justin Bieber (okay maybe not) and boy obsessions consuming my life. I get questions everyday about why I chose to be homeschooled, if I chose it myself, how I did it, and what my reflections are- now that I've graduated (oh how good it feels to finally be qualified to say this). 
I'm a weird kid. I don't like working in groups because dependence on others makes me sense the future disappointment as though I have a crystal ball before me. I feel like teachers are in a constant power struggle and degrade students in order to feel like the alpha. I don't necessarily agree with having to ask to go the bathroom or take a drink from the fountain... I crave freedom and all it is associated with.
Nobody pushed me to be homeschooled, or really even influenced me. I did it because I felt it was most appropriate given my ambition and goals.
I did an independent learning program called the ILC, which is ministry approved. Basically I took individual courses, and depending on how new the curriculum was, I either had lessons online or through textbooks. It was essentially the exact same material I learned in public school, except of course, there was no one teaching it to me.

Why would I leave school right before senior year (also known as the best year)?

I've never identified with my classmates. I'm very passionate about my hobbies and despite my age, I take them very seriously and want to accomplish a lot and work for it. I don't regret not "having the best time at school" because I got the opportunity to do extraordinary things and graduate early. From what it seems, my classmates admire what I do, and I wouldn't say they feel like I'm missing out on anything because I'm living out my dreams. I rather miss out on an inside joke with my friends but get to travel to a foreign country. I'm still with my friends all the time; I can go to their prom, formal dances, and if I really want to I can visit them at lunch. So really, I'm not missing out on anything. I keep all the benefits of senior year (dances, prom, graduation), and take away the dreadful part (classes and teachers).

I decided to make the decision because I felt like I was wasting my time at school. I almost never came to my classes, my teachers never showed up and when I decided I should probably go to class, we ended up watching a movie. I just kept asking myself - "Why am I here??!" I knew I had better things to do.
What I got from homeschooling was total freedom. I could build my own schedule and work on my own. I worked until 5 am sometimes, just finishing unit after unit. Essentially, I got to finish high school early, which I would never be able to do if I wasn't home schooled (because the Ontario ministry doesn't allow it). 


 The advantages are that you can finish school faster, work on your own schedule, pursue your passions and work if that's in your interests. You can get better at your hobbies (for example, dancing) and really focus on the things you want to do in life. You can also really focus on education. There is no one distracting you, so you can study whatever you'd like without pressure. Homeschooling is definitely not for everybody; I think it's perfect for independent, hard-working and ambitious students that don't fit into the set up government plan. The disadvantage would possibly be the chance of  missing socialization. If you don't have any hobbies, I can see how homeschooling could make you feel isolated if you don't make the effort to see your friends often.

So there you have it, I'm a homeschooled jungle freak, but I'm a proud one at that. If you're interested in homeschooling, weigh out the benefits and costs, and then conduct a web search to see if it's possible in your country. If you want something bad enough and work for it, it will happen.

14 comments:

  1. Sonya, I find it very difficult! But you could do it and I admire you. You know what you want and you do it. You are such a good exemplar for many girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I like the first one photo so much! You look like Jenny from GG;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for doing it! I personally loved school (not always but most of the time) and I do think of the last year at school as the best one. But I find your story incredibly inspirational!

    I think I myself just couldn't do it. I don't know, I'm just not disciplined enough, I guess.

    I'm a good learner but I find it so hard to make myself do some stuff unless I absolutely have to do it. I am really passionate and hard working when it comes to things that I like, but I just can't motivate myself to do something that I don't like. And at school you have to study both of these, whether you like it or not. So it was good that there was something (or should I say, somebody) that just pushed me to do everything.

    Did you ever go through the phase where you just couldn't be bothered studying something and wanted to let it all "wait till tomorrow"? How did you cope with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anastasia!
      I definitely loved school in some of my years! Middle school was the best :) It all depends on your school and the people that surround you!
      Not really to be honest, I do get lazy sometimes and procrastinate, but I'm very self-disciplining. If I told myself " i must finish my essay today", I won't go to sleep until I finish it! Just how I work :)
      Keep your goals in mind!

      Delete
  4. I really admire you! And I finally found the human, who can understand me. For example I don't like working at groups, I prefer achieve my aims myself. I have not ordinary interests , like all my classmates have. I feel like I'm more older at my interests. And also teachers so often think, that they can humiliate the students with their "power", I think it's definitly not good. You're right that's so weird having to ask to go the bathroom:) I'm glad that you write this article, I'm absolutely agree with you in everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alina! :)
      Hopefully more people will have the opportunity to choose homeschooling in the future!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 11класс...уже поздно что-то менять:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Соня где ты делаешь такие рамки для фото???ответь пожалуйста:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. А тебе не сложно учится на дому? Ну я всмысле, ты не можешь списывать.... Иногда, например я, совсем не понимаю дз. Мне приходится на переменах списывать С: И в каком классе ты начала дом. обучение?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sonya,thank you for a very interesting post!I found it usefull for me that to become more self-disciplining as you in order to achieve my goals!Can you publish more posts where you speak about your personality!
    I don`t know you personally,but i feel by watching your videos that you are a good liver!You are a very clever and kind girl.I love you for that!!Thank you for what you are doing!))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...